The article argues that “the habitat of the typical third place thus enjoys a richness of human contact that is denied the timid, the bigoted, the pretentious, and others who choose to insulate themselves from human variety” but I would argue that this third place is full of the timid, pretentious and those who insulate themselves from the human variety. Much of the exchanges on these MMO’s or sites like topix would never be uttered in a real community. Not to mention that many of these MMO’s form guilds whereby you can be kicked out so the sub communities in these so-called communities are consisted only of like-minded people that lack human variety.
In my high school we had a guestbook page on our website whereby people could post anonymous comments. Much of the comments came from the students and was similar to what was being discussed about Jennifer Jam. I remember I was once victim to rumors and online bashing and my sixteen-year self was distraught that everyone in the school had the wrong impression of me. In remembering this traumatic teen story I remembered how another high school also had a guestbook with similar comments however we were never interested in reading them because we did not know the subjects of the matter. In thinking of the idea that “online negativity seems to dissipate naturally in a large city”, I would argue is dissipates because not enough people know the subjects of the matter. Gossip is only interesting if you know who is being gossiped about.
In case you couldn’t tell I am not a fan of MMO’s or sites like Topix because I think they have real consequences in life. Even with Facebook, whilst you have to have a name, people constantly create alter egos and participate in online bullying. If you have time read this article about a mother creating a fake myspace account to bully a 13 year old girl (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315684,00.html) Stories like this make me really worry about this third place that is being created through MMO’s and online forums. I think there are real advantages to them, however I am very skeptical about readily calling them real communities.

No comments:
Post a Comment